Monday, May 4, 2009

Mommy Monday

Dancing. Music. Kids love it, and so do you.

Every day, have at least thirty minutes of Music Time. Keep changing the genre - classical one day, oldies the next. Mix in a little jazz, raggae, country, R&B, Celtic, hymns and pop. Expose them to the good music to be found across the board. Kids truly love it all. Put it on and DANCE.

Let them feel the music and try to "interpret" how it makes them move. Give them "shakers," pots and pans, or tape butter knives to the bottom of their shoes to make them 'tap.' Swirl scarves or sashes through the air along with the music. Make sure you tell them the name of each song - and make sure you DANCE WITH THEM.

Your children will soon become connoisseurs, guaranteed.

For example. Just a sampling from Little Prince's Playlist:

U2's "Elevation"
"Duelin' Banjos"
Mozart's March in D
"Put a Ring on It"
"I Hope They Call Me on a Mission"
"Bad Day"
The Majestic soundtrack (all suh-WEET jazz music)
"I'm a Child of God"
Rachmaninoff's Prelude Op.23 No. 5
Anything Celtic
Any kind of camp song (that's muh boy)

I seriously love my kid.

And if you'd like to see him jive, just click here. (I posted the video last year - and it remains my favorite music video of all time.)

6 comments:

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

You have to love a kid who puts Rachmaninoff in the same list as Beyonce.
Sweet.

Mommadj5 said...

Don't forget Cannon in D or all the great music from broadway musicals! Gosh - now I'm obsessing about all the great music in all the forms you mentioned....the list is unbelievable!! What fun!

Rachel Sue said...

Kid music videos are always the best. I have yet to capture my 2 yr old on film, marching to "We are the Dinosaurs." Someday it will happen.

janae said...

I attribute half of my relatively thin figure right now to daily dancing time with the kids. Now if that ain't 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, I don't know what is! :)

Btw, I love the knife idea. Brilliant. I just may be doing that one this month. :)

Kathy P said...

One of B's favorite songs to dance to is on the Hannah Montana soundtrack -- she cracks up everytime!

Flying with Anne said...

God bbless